Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Quote of the Day - 10/11/11

"Joy's soul lies in the doing." -William Shakespeare

Here's another bit of wisdom from Mr. Shakespeare. I recently came across this quote while reading The Happiness Hypothesis by Jonathan Haidt. Simply put, we get more pleasure from making progress towards our goals than we do from achieving them. When I'm working on a project and get "in the zone",  I often experience a somewhat euphoric feeling, simply because of what I'm doing. It's what keeps me coming back and getting up early on my day off so I can make more progress, so I can make things happen. If we can discover the joy in the process, then those tight deadlines and late nights staring at the computer screen can become less stressful (especially if you're using f.lux, which I discussed in my last post).

No comments:

Post a Comment